Who can provide Play Therapy for my child?

Only a trained professional should provide this service for you and your child. “Registered Play Therapists” hold at least a master’s level mental health degree (in Mental Health Counseling, Social Work, or Marriage and Family Therapy) and have undergone extensive training and supervision to become certified by the Association for Play Therapy.

Center for Child Counseling provides ongoing training and supervision for our therapists in a variety of clinical models including Play Therapy. For young children, play is often at the foundation of any evidence-based intervention used including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT). These approaches are more directive than Client-Centered Play Therapy (CCPT).

Some questions to ask that may help you in choosing a professional are:

  • Are you a registered Play Therapist (RPT) or registered Play Therapist Supervisor (RPT-S)?
  • What is your training as a mental health professional?
  • Are you licensed?
  • What mental health degree(s) have you earned?
  • Have you undergone formal education in working with children?
  • Have you ever undergone formal Play Therapy education?
  • What method of Play Therapy do you use to work with children?
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial